When heading off on a travel adventure of any kind, it is important to be comfortable, supported, and dry. It doesn’t matter if it is the height of summer, when you are venturing to altitude or into nature, it is possible for a rain outburst to occur at any time. You could also be waking over streams, rivers, muddy patches, and all manner of other natural hazards. Basically, you need to be dry, end of.
City breaks have the same need for comfort, and a pair of sturdy yet lightweight walking shoes are ideal for sightseeing over many hours. Of course, it can rain, so if they are waterproof, all the better!
The market is flooded with walking shoes which claim to be top quality, but how do you know if they really are the best around? We’ve put four of the best choices on the market to the test, to make choosing your purchase easier.
Best Waterproof Walking Shoes For Various Types of Travel
The First Outdoor Women’s Waterproof & Breathable Climbing Shoes
This particular pair of walking shoes are ideal for the fashion-conscious women out there. You can choose between two colour options, and they are a lightweight option too, at just under 1 kilograms in weight. The shoes feature a rubber sole, which bends and moves to the terrain you are walking over, and the outer is durable, made of a leather and fabric mix. The outer of the shoe also has a First-Tex Performance waterproof membrance, which is also designed to be breathable, and therefore keeps feet cool whilst out and about, with optimum air circulation.
The shoes tie with strong laces and the tongue is cushioned to create less pressure on the top of the foot.
These walking shoes are very well received by customers, and all state that the shoes are true to size, and they are very comfortable, even when worn over a long period of time. The only comment which does appear a few times is that it is best to wear thicker socks with the shoes if you are going on a prolonged walk, to prevent slipping over the heel section.
- Available in two colour options
- Breathable outer which allows air to circulate evenly
- Waterproof mesh on the outer
- Thick rubber sole for grip and comfort
- Strong laces
- The colour choices are bright, so do not match all outfits
- The appearance is more of a sneaker than a shoe
Ahnu Women’s Montara II Waterproof Light Hiking Shoe
For women looking for quality and a chic appearance to their walking boots, this particular option is ideal. Available in four muted colours, with black and navy two of the most popular choices, the boots are made of a mixture of leather and textile on the outer, which makes them not only waterproof, but durable too. The rubber sole is also designed to bend and adapt to the ground being travelled upon, with a 1.5″ heel to add extra height. The sole is also designed with Vibram technology, which absorbs any vibration and gives extra grip.
Customers are overall very satisified with these walking boots, and all state that they are extremely comfortable, even when worn over a long period of time. A common complaint is that the toe section seems to be a little narrow, but that it does stretch and ‘give’ a little after a few wears.
- Classic and sophisticated appearance
- Available in four different colour options
- Leather and textile outer for durability and waterproof ability
- Vibram technology on the sole to absorb vibration and increase traction
- The price is a little higher compared to some other similar products
- The narrow toe section could cause a little discomfort at first
KEEN Men’s Austin Shoe
These walking shoes are designed specifically for men and they have a classic appearance. Available in a huge 7 different neutral colour options, these shoes have an Oxford lace design and are made of premium leather, for extra durability and quality. The patented metatomical foodbed is designed for extra comfort.
The sole is made of synthetic rubber and is rigid for support, yet adapts to terrain easily. These shoes would actually look the part whether out walking or not, and are designed to be casual yet durable at the same time.
Many customers state that these shoes are ideal for those with wider feet, to give extra comfort, without ‘squeezing’ the outsides of the feet. The word ‘comfortable’ comes up time and time again in reviews, and the appearance is extra pleasing, due to the casual fashion choice.
- Premium leather makes these shoes durable and waterproof
- Oxford lace design
- Available in 7 different colour combinations and options
- Casual design is flexible in term of what to wear them with
- Metatomical footbed for comfort
- The quality of these shoes does mean the price is a little higher
- Whilst still lightweight, these shoes are a little heavier than some similar options, at 15.6oz in weight
Rockport Men’s Trail Technique Waterproof 3 Eye Walking Shoe
Rockport is an instantly recognisable brand name in the outdoor world, so that should give peace of mind. The price of these shoes is also not as high as you might think.
In terms of the shoes themselves, they are available in three different colour options, all of whch are neutral and easy to wear with other clothing, e.g. jeans or shorts. The durability you would expect from a Rockport product is evident in the leather outer, which is also waterproof. The rubber sole is firm yet easily adapts to terrain, and the insole is removable, to give extra comfort. This can also be washed for extra freshness!
Customers love these Rockport shoes, but one comment which does come up a few times is that there is a slight lack of support if you have a tendnecy towards arch problems. This can be fixed by purchasing an in-shoe support. These shoes are lightweight, and this is pleasing to many customers, who state that they also allow the foot to breathe, even in hot conditions.
- Big named brands for confidence in your purchase
- Available in several different colour options
- Classic design is fashionable
- Lightweight option
- Designed with air circulation in mind
- An added arch support may be needed for those who have issues with their feet
- The design is classic, but can look a little ‘old fashioned’ when choosing the brown colour option
Walking shoes need to be three main things:
If the shoe is fashionable, all the better! The four options we have reviewed are all top choices on the market, and whether male or female, they tick the above three boxes.
For women, the First Outdoor choice is a great one, and despite the sporty appearance, is a very supportive and comfortable walking shoe. for men, the KEEN option is a very positive choice, and one which looks the part too.